Shiels Engineering, Inc. (Shiels Engineering) incorporated in September of 2005. Services provided by Shiels Engineering include Oil and Gas exploration and production (E&P) consulting, environmental, health & safety (EHS) consulting, geological engineering and EHS training. Shiels Engineering is registered as a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB #1010655669800) certified by the State of Texas. Shiels Engineering is also registered with the North Central Texas Regional Certification Agency (#WFWB97628Y0618) as a Woman-Owned Business.
The firm was founded by Carol and David Shiels who have been married since May of 1987 and have worked together since Shiels Engineering was created. Carol is a registered Professional Engineer (PE) licensed to practice in the state of Texas and a certified petroleum geologist (CPG) with the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG). David is a licensed Professional Geologist (PG) in the state of Texas and a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) with the Institute of Hazardous Materials Managers (IHMM). Shiels Engineering was created to provide a wide variety of highly specialized geologic and engineering consulting services to select clients on an as-needed basis. This reduces overhead payroll costs of a full-time technical staff while providing just what the client needs on a project by project basis.
Description of Services
Oil & Gas Engineering Consulting
- Prospect evaluation
- Open/cased-hole log evaluations
- Geologic assessments; mapping, X-sections & correlations
- Seismic data evaluation
- Reservoir engineering assessments
- Geologic assessment & correlation of offset production
- Reservoir engineering drainage calculations
- Expert Testimony
Basic Asset Management
- Operations & regulatory compliance consulting
- Railroad Commission & civil court expert testimony and case support
- Well production efficiency evaluations & re-completions
- Exploring Potential Zones in Other Horizons Through Mapping, X-sections and isopach maps
Facility Compliance Services
- Regulatory multimedia EHS Audit support
- Asbestos and Mold Abatement Project Management
- Petroleum Storage Tank (PST) Removal/Closure
Environmental Health & Safety Training
- 40 Hour and 8 Hour HAZWOPER training
- RCRA & DOT Awareness Training
- Storm Water and SPCC Training
- Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments for Real Estate Ownership Transfers, Pre-acquisition Audits and Environmental Risk Assessments
- Voluntary Cleanup Program (VCP)
- Environmental assessment and remediation project management and consulting
- Texas Risk Reduction Program (TRRP) closures
- Municipal Setting Designation (MSD) support
Hazardous Waste Management Services
- Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) Closures
- Facility EHS compliance Auditing
- Waste sampling
- Disposal options/cost analysis
- Waste management planning (NOR, Form R, Tier II, Annual Waste Summaries etc…)
The principals of Shiels Engineering, Inc. (Carol and David Shiels) have been happily married since May of 1987 and worked together since Shiels Engineering was created. Perhaps David and Carol’s greatest accomplishments are their two children; Andrew and Sara. They are outstanding young citizens and are both working hard in their communities. Andrew is an Engineer and Sara is a high school counselor.
Carol and David provide a unique blend of technical and business acumen. Combined, they provide a diversity of experience and infusion of new ideas which have been a key to their collective successes.
The following is a brief profile of each Principal:
Carol Shiels, PE, CPG
President (Managing Principal)
Carol has a B.S. degree in Geological Engineering from Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey. She is a skilled Geological Engineer and has been practicing since 1980. Carol is experienced in many aspects of geological engineering from oil and gas prospect evaluations to groundwater and surface drainage assessments where building foundations are affected by poor drainage and shallow groundwater. Carol is a consultant in Oil & Gas and Geological Engineering Operations and provides critical technical support to her clients in the assessment of minerals that are either being bought or sold. She has extensive operations experience in East Texas, Permian Basin, and Southeast Kansas. She also has environmental compliance experience developing SPCC plans, crude oil cleanups under Railroad Commission jurisdiction and air emissions inventories. Carol enjoys consulting on an as-needed basis from prospect evaluation, drilling operations, completion, and regulatory compliance.
R. David Shiels, PG, CHMM
Vice President (Principal)
David has a B.S. degree in Geology from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. He is a skilled Geologist and Certified Hazardous Materials Manager who has been practicing his skills since 1984. David is experienced in many aspects of environmental consulting such as facility compliance evaluations, hydrogeology, site assessments, subsurface investigations, solid waste management unit closures, the development of storm water plans, development of Pollution Prevention (P2) plans and health, safety & environmental training. David provides training for both the 40-Hour and 8-Hour HAZWOPER courses to industry and fellow consulting companies. David is familiar with and enjoys cleaning up sites that are enrolled in the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Voluntary Cleanup Program (VCP). David has managed many industrial sites in the VCP and has successfully closed them where clients received a Certificate of Completion from the VCP. David has also managed a site where a Municipal Setting Designation (MSD) was sought. This site has been awarded an MSD.
Shiels Engineering, Inc.
P.O. Box 1193
Kaufman, Texas 75142
Phone: (972) 962-8112 Fax: (972) 962-4848
Reach us directly via Cell:
Carol: (214) 549-1986
David: (214) 577-5987